2022 FEDERAL BENEFITS OPEN SEASON
November 14 - December 12
This is the time for you to think about your health, dental, vision, and tax-saving needs and to enroll or change your enrollment in any of the following programs:
During Open Season, you can make elections you usually can’t make any other time of the year.
All health or dental or vision plans are not alike. Open Season is about exercising your right of choice. By considering your health plan choices in advance, you’ll have access to health care services and supplies you need, with a premium you can afford.
Dental and/or vision coverage can fill in the gaps of any coverage you currently have or pay for services you currently don’t get. A flexible spending account can help lower your taxable income.
If you are already enrolled in FEHB and/or FEDVIP, those enrollments will continue automatically, although benefits and premiums may change. Be sure to check that your plan is still participating.
Changes you make to your FEHB or FEDVIP enrollment will remain in effect until the next plan year. You can only change your plan, plan option or enrollment type at Open Season or when you experience a qualifying life event, such as adding a child or a spouse’s loss of other coverage.
Your enrollment in FSAFEDS does not automatically renew. If you want to participate, you must re-enroll for 2023.
Things to Consider
- There are many choices under FEHB to meet your needs.
- You must be covered by FEHB for the 5 years of service immediately before retiring to continue coverage into retirement.
- There are no waiting periods and no pre-existing condition limitations under FEHB, even if you change plans.
- If you are eligible for FEHB, you may enroll in FSAFEDS and/or FEDVIP whether or not you are already enrolled in FEHB.
- There are 3 accounts from which to choose: a dependent care account, a health care account, and a limited expense health care account.
- Participating lowers your taxable income.
- You can be reimbursed for your FEDVIP and FEHB expenses, including copays and deductibles.
- Not open to retirees.
More Information on Plan Choices:
Visit FEHB for an overview and for reference materials or check out the 2023 plan brochures.
Visit FEDVIP for an overview and for reference materials or check out the 2023 plan brochures.
Visit FSAFEDS, or call 1-877-FSAFEDS (372-3337), or check out the FSAFEDS program brochure.
To Make an Open Season Selection:
For FEHB: Employees may use the Health Benefits Election Form (SF 2809) or use an online self-service system. Your agency’s human resources office can help you.
For more, visit OPM.gov/OpenSeason.
For dental or vision under FEDVIP: visit the BENEFEDS website or call 1-877-888-3337 or TTY 1-877-889-5680.
For flexible spending accounts under FSAFEDS (employees only): visit the FSAFEDS website or call 1-877-FSAFEDS (372-3337) or TTY 1-866-353-8058.
Retirees may visit Open Season Online or call Open Season Express at 1-800-332- 9798, TTY 1-855-887-4957.
To learn more about Congressman Connolly's Annual Open Season Workshop, click here. This year's event will be held on December 3 at the Fairfax County Government Center.