|Scam Alert: There has been a significant increase in the number of telephone scams in which individuals who claim to be IRS agents call taxpayers and demand immediate payment, often threatening arrest or lawsuits. These calls are fraudulent and are designed to scare you into making a payment over the phone. If you receive a call like this, do not provide any personal or credit card information. Make a note of the incoming phone number and report the scam to the Department of the Treasury.
No federal agency, including the IRS, will call you demanding immediate payment or personal information. If the IRS or any federal agency believes that you owe taxes, you will receive written notice mailed to your home.
The IRS website is a valuable source of information and can often provide answers to many basic questions. Below is a sampling of the most frequent questions that I receive:
Where can I get IRS forms?
There are two ways that you can obtain tax forms and instructions from the IRS:
- You can download and print the forms and instructions through the IRS website at: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs.
- You can request that tax forms and instructions be mailed to you by completing the online order form or by calling the IRS at 1-800-829-3676 or 1-8000-829-4059 for the hearing impaired.
Who can I talk to about problems like liens, back taxes, penalties, etc.?
- Call the Taxpayer Advocate 24-Hour Toll-Free Hotline: 1-877-777-4778.
- Call the IRS Customer Service Line: 1-800-829-1040 (for individuals) or 1-800-829-4933 (businesses).
- Schedule an appointment online with at the IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in Vienna, VA, or by phone at 1-844-545-5640.
My staff is always available to assist you with issues that you may be experiencing with the IRS. If you cannot find the answer to your questions through these links or would like my office to contact the IRS on your behalf, please complete my Privacy Release Form and email it to: firstname.lastname@example.org. My staff will be happy to provide you with all possible assistance.